Agreement to Counselling
What you can expect from me:
- I will accept you as you are, whatever your beliefs or lifestyle. I will treat you with respect, listen to you and not judge you.
- I will work with you to clarify your goals for therapy and to consider factors affecting your ability to achieve your goals.
- I will work with you in a professional way according to the Code of Ethics as determined by the Association of Christian Counsellors (ACC). Should you have any concerns about the counselling service I offer to you, I hope you would feel able to discuss these with me. If this is not possible, please contact the ACC for support and guidance.
- As part of my professional practice I have regular Supervision sessions to ensure that I am fit to practice. During Supervision, I may share anonymous content from our sessions. If I or my Supervisor feels that I am not able to offer you an effective counselling relationship, I will end our contract and offer you a recommendation for another Counsellor.
- I will keep our appointments at the time agreed. However, if I am unable to attend a session, e.g. if I am ill, I will contact you to advise you of this. I will try to give you as much notice as possible and aim to offer you another appointment within seven days.
- Each counselling session will last for 50 minutes and I will aim to provide a comfortable environment with minimum distractions.
- I will treat whatever you tell me as confidential, as long as this does not mean that I am breaking the law. The exceptions to these are if I feel that you are at risk of harming yourself or others. In which case I may need to inform a relevant organisation or person. I will, however discuss my concerns with you, where possible, agreeing any course of action.
- I keep brief notes of each counselling session for my own personal use as I see a number of clients. I keep my notes securely and when counselling ends, will continue to keep the notes for three years before shredding them. You have the right to read your notes and I need your consent to keep them.
- I will respect your wish to finish counselling at any time, however, I would ask that we have an ending session.
- I will answer any questions you have about the counselling process to the best of my ability.
What I need from you:
- That you will keep your appointments on the date and time agreed. If you are late for your appointment, you will only be given the time remaining and will be charged for the whole session.
- Payment is required at the beginning of sessions (or in advance). I accept payment by cheque, cash or bank transfer and I will give three months’ notice of any increase in my fees. I do not make any charge for cancellations provided you have given 48 hours’ notice by phone or text, otherwise you will be charged for the session.
- My mobile number should only be used to change or cancel sessions. If you need to contact me for any other reason, you may do so by email. I check messages regularly and will get back to you as soon as I can.
- That you will let me know of any treatment or medicine you receive and tell me about anyone else who becomes involved in helping you. That you will also let me know if anything is happening in your life that may affect our working together.
- That you will not be under the influence of drugs or alcohol when you attend the session. If you attend the session with your functioning impaired by non-prescribed drugs or alcohol, or if I feel that either of us is at risk of harm during the session, I reserve the right to end the session without refund.
- That you will be as open and honest as far as you are able and ask me to explain anything you do not understand.
- That you will be responsible for your own thoughts, feelings and actions and for your own personal development. During our counselling sessions I will try to work with you in a way which helps you to help yourself.
Consent to keep notes:
I have read and understood this information and give consent for Kay Roach to keep notes regarding the content of our counselling sessions for a maximum of three years. I also agree to all other terms of this agreement to counselling.